Townships of Renville County information from History of Renville County 1916 Volume II
- Bandon Township was organized on January 4, 1871, and the first election was held a few months later at Jeremiah Farrell’s house in section 18.
- Beaver Falls Township was to be named Upson but after the county was organized the name Beaver was given. Organized April 2, 1867, the first township election was held in 1867 at the store of C. Prignitz in the village of Beaver Falls, then the county seat.
- Birch Cooley Township was organized on April 2, 1867, and the first election was held fall of 1867 at the home of Joseph L. Preston. The present boundaries were organized on July 28, 1874.
- Bird Island Township was organized on October 2, 1876, and the first election was held at the home of Joseph Feeter on October 21, 1876.
- Boon Lake Township was created on September 6, 1870, at the time included Brookfield. Present boundaries since 1874. The first election was held fall of 1870.
- Brookfield Township was organized in 1874 and the first election was held on April 7 at the home of Charles Foster.
- Camp Township was organized on April 2, 1867, having failed to hold an election, Halleck Peterson, was appointed assessor on May 21, 1867. A town hall was erected in section 15 in 1904.
- Cario Township was organized as Mud Lake and the first election held on April 2, 1867.
- Crooks Township was organized as Aurora in November 1884 and the first election was held December 9, 1884. March 1885 name was changed from Aurora to Crooks as there was already an Aurora township in the state.
- Emmet Township, named for Robert Emmet, the Irish patriot. Organized September 7, 1870, first election September 21, 1870.
- Ericson Township, named for Eric Ericson, County Auditor
- Flora Township organized in 1867 the first election held in the house of James Gaffney. Named after Francis Shoemaker’s horse.
- Hawk Creek Township was organized on April 2, 1867, an election was held on April 6, 1867, at the home of Henry Wilson. 1906 a town hall was erected in section 14.
- Hector Township was created April 7, 1874, as Milford, on July 29, 1874, the name was changed to Hector, a town in New York from which many of the settlers had come. There was already a Milford township in the state. The first town meeting was held on June 30, 1874, at the home of James Cummings.
- Henryville Township was originally assessed as part of Beaver Falls township in 1869. Took its name from Peter Henry, one of the best known of the pioneer settlers. Organized March 16, 1871, the first election was held on March 23, 1871.
- Kingman Township was organized on September 3, 1878, and an election was held at the home of H.W. Jones in section 20 on September 24, 1878.
- Martinsburg Township was organized on September 3, 1878, with an election held at the home of J.B. Mohan in section 22 on September 24, 1878.
- Melville Township was organized on January 1, 1878, with the first town meeting at the home of Albert Brown on January 21, 1878.
- Norfolk Township’s first election in March 1875 was originally organized as Houlton on July 26, 1869. Various changes both in name and territory took place after that and it assumed its present boundaries on October 2, 1876. The name was changed to Norfolk in 1874.
- Osceola Township was organized on September 30, 1879, at the home of J.F. Lucas, Sr. The first annual meeting was held on March 9, 1880.
- Palmyra Township was organized on January 2, 1872, and an election was held on January 30, 1872, at the home of E.H. Olson.
- Preston Lake Township was organized on September 7, 1869, the first town meeting held September 28, 1869, at the home of William Phare. The township hall was built in 1900.
- Sacred Heart Township’s first town election was held on April 6, 1869, at the house of G.P. Greene.
- Troy Township was organized on March 21, 1876, and the first election was held on April 8 at the house of Ira Everson.
- Wang Township was organized on July 28, 1875, and the first election was held at the home of Elling Johnson on August 16, 1876.
- Winfield Township was created as Liberty township on April 17, 1878, the first meeting held at the home of Ulrick Julson on May 4, 1878. Another petition was granted on December 8, 1878 organizing and naming the township. The town was duly organized at a meeting held on December 27, 1878.
- Wellington Township was organized on June 4, 1873, the first election held June 17 at the William Carson house.
Cities of Renville County information compiled by county.
Bird Island was incorporated in 1881
Buffalo Lake was incorporated in 1891
Danube was incorporated in 1901 first call Miles
Fairfax incorporated 1888
Franklin incorporated 1888
Hector incorporated 1881
Renville incorporated 1881
Sacred Heart was incorporated in 1883
If you have information to add to this article please email Nicole [email protected]