441 North Park Drive, Morton, MN 56270 [email protected] 507.697.6147

Questions To Be Answered On Registration Card, Renville Star Farmer, 9-5-1918

Voiced by Amazon Polly

Who Must Register

All male persons must register who shall have attained their eighteenth birthday and shall not have attained their forty-sixth birthday on or before the day set by the President for registration. The only exceptions are:

  •  Persons who, prior to the day set for registration by the President, have registered either under the terms of the Act approved May 18, 1917, or under the terms of public resolution of Congress approved May 20, 1918, whether called for service of not.
  •  Officers and enlisted men of the Regular Army, officers appointed, and men of the forces drafted, under the provisions of the Act approved May 18, 1917, officers and enlisted men of the National Guard while in the service of the United States and the officers of the Officers’ Reserve Corps and enlisted Reserve Corps while in the service of the United States; and
  • Officers and enlisted men of the Navy and Marine Corps, and officers and enlisted and enrolled men of the Naval Reserve Force and Marine Corps Reserve while in the service of the United States.
  • Name – Must be given in full, thus: First name, middle name, last name.
  • Permanent home address – This means where you have your permanent home NOW, not, the place where you work nor the place where you were born, unless that is your permanent home.
  • Age in years – State your age in YEARS only. Disregard additional months or days.
  • Date of birth – If you do not remember the year, start to answer as you would if someone asked you your birthday, as “Oct. 12.” Then say “On my birthday this year I will be (or was) – years old.” The registrar will then fill in the year of birth.
  • White ?
  • Negro ?
  • Oriental ?
  • Citizen Indian ?
  • Noncitizen Indian ?
  • Native born United States citizen – If you were born in the United States, including Alaska and Hawaii, you are a native born citizen of the United States, irrespective of the citizenship of your parents. Any inhabitant of Porto Rico who was a Spanish subject on April, 11, 1899, and who resided in Porto Rico on that date, and continued to reside therein until April 11, 1900 is held to be a citizen of Porto Rico, except such inhabitants, natives of the Spanish peninsula who elected to preserve their allegiance to Spain on or before April 11, 1900 by making a declaration before a court of record of their decision to do so.  Any citizen of Porto Rico as above defined and any native of Porto Rico who was temporarily absent from the island on April 11, 1899, and has since returned and is not a citizen of any foreign country, is held to be a citizen of the United States, provided he did not elect to retain his political status by making declaration under oath of his decision to do so within six months after March 2, 1917. If you were born abroad you are still a citizen of the United States if your father was a citizen of the United States at the time you were born, unless you have expatriated yourself.
  • Naturalized citizens of the United States? You are a naturalized citizen if you have completed your naturalization; that is, if you have “taken out final papers.” But you are not a citizen if you have only declared your intention to become a citizen; that is, if you have only “taken out first papers”; in the latter case you are a declarant.
  • Citizen of the United States by father’s naturalization before the registrant’s majority. The children of parents who have been duly naturalized under the laws of the United States being under the age of 21 at the time of naturalization of their parents are, if dwelling in the United States before attaining their majority, considered as citizens thereof.
  • Missed in printing
  • Alien nondeclarant? You are a nondeclarant alien if you do not fall within one of the classes described by questions 10, 11, 12, and 13, and are not an Indian. In other words, you are a nondeclarant alien if you are a citizen or subject of some other country than the United States and have not declared before a naturalization court your intention to become a citizen of the United States, that is, have not “taken out first papers.”
  • If not a citizen of the United States, of what nation are you a citizen or subject? This need be answered only by declarant and nondeclarant aliens. If you are an alien of either class, state the name of your country, which the registrar will write in this space. For example, “Great Britain,” “France,” “Italy.” State also the name of the subdivision of your country in which you were originally resident before proceeding to the United States, which will be written in parenthesis after the name of the country, as “Great Britain (Scotland).” German or Austrian Poles, Austrians, Lorrainers, and persons of alike status, the registrant may answer “Czech-Slovak, claimed as subject of Austria-Hungary,” “Alsatian, claimed as subject of Germany,” etc., and such entry shall be made by the registrar.
  • Present occupation? This means your present occupation, trade or employment, which the registrar will enter in this space. Do not state what you once did, nor what you have done most of the time. Simply state what you job is right now.
  • Employers name? If you are working for a firm, corporation or association, state its name. If in business, trade, profession or employment for yourself, so state. If you are an officer of the state of federal government, say whether your office in under the United States, the state, county or municipality.
  • Place of employment or business? This means where you work.
  • Name of nearest relative? If you are married and your wife is living her name should be stated. If you are single or your wife is dead, you should state the name of your nearest blood relative. If you are not married and have no blood relatives, the name of a close friend should be stated.
  • Address of nearest relative? In stating the address give the number and name of street first, then the city or town, then the county and state; or R.F.D. number first, then post[N1]  office, then county and state.