441 North Park Drive, Morton, MN 56270 [email protected] 507.697.6147

Olivia Soldier Dies in Service published in the Olivia Times 09/05/1919

Voiced by Amazon Polly

Olivia Soldier Dies in Service: John Schanil Succumbs at Jefferson, MO and Remains are Brought to Olivia

     The sad news of the death of John Schanil at Jefferson Barracks, MO was received here last week and it brought a feeling of deep sorrow to his many relatives and friends in this vicinity. The remains were shipped to Olivia, arriving here Saturday morning, and the funeral took place Sunday afternoon from the M.E. Church at this place, Rev. W.S. Emery conducting the services. A large crowd of sympathizing friends turned out to the services to pay a tribute of love and respect to the memory of the deceased, and to extend condolence to the bereaved relatives. Rev. Emery spoke fittingly of the patriotism of the deceased and of the sacrifice which this community is making for our beloved country, this being the third funeral of local men in the service since we entered the war. The large, beautiful casket was covered with wreaths of flowers, presented by loved ones, among the wreaths being a beautiful one from the M.W.A. Camp of Olivia of which deceased was a member. Beneath the flowers on the casket was draped the National Colors, so dear to the heart of the deceased, and for which he offered his life. The interment was in the Olivia Cemetery.
     John Schanil was born in Cresco Iowa, Feb. 22, 1880. When a small child he went with his parents to Mitchell, SD where the family resided some years, later returning to Iowa. About 3 years ago the family came to Renville County, settling on a farm a few miles northwest of Olivia. Here the deceased grew to manhood, attending public school and later learning the blacksmith trade under his older brother. He operated a shop for a while at Danube, later returning to Olivia, and when our country declared war he volunteered his services. Being past the draft age, and being afflicted with a nervous aliment, he was rejected at home, but he did not give up, but applied for admission into the service at state headquarters. At first he failed, but finally he was accepted and was assigned to work of horseshoer in the Field Artillery at Jefferson Barracks, MO. His death followed an attack of epilepsy, his illness being a short duration.
     John was a kind-hearted, honest and sincere young man and a true and noble patriot. He showed his willingness and desire to give to his beloved country the last full measure of devotion, and for that evidence of his noble and patriotic soul his memory will live in the hearts of his acquaintances.
     The bereaved family have the sympathy of the entire community in their sorrow. The surviving members are his mother, eight brothers and three sisters. James of Elmhurst, SD; Joseph & Albert of Canada; Frank, Charley, George, Fred & Jerry of this place; Mrs. Arnold Houdeck of Shelby, MT and Misses Blanch & Mary, who are at home.